Welcome to the American Committee for the Weizmann Institute of Science (“ACWIS”, “Company”, “we” or “us”). We operate this website (the “Website”) and are strongly committed to protecting the privacy of your information.
In this Policy, when we use the phrase “Personal Information”, we mean information about you that is personally identifiable, like your name, address, e-mail address, or phone number, as well as other non-public information that is associated with this personal information. The phrase “Anonymous Information”, as used in this Policy, means information that is not associated with or linked to your Personal Information. Anonymous Information does not enable us to identify or contact you or other individuals.
Your Personal Information may be processed by us in the United States where laws regarding processing of Personal Information may be less stringent than the laws in your country.
The Information We Gather
We collect information about you in three ways:
Information you voluntarily provide us. We collect and maintain information that you voluntarily submit to us during your use of the Website. We collect information:
- If you sign up to submit a video or text message, which includes the dedication you submit, your first and last name, and the audio and visual content of the video or text message, your email address, and any photograph or other image you upload to the site.
- If you make a donation, which includes your first and last name, your donation amount, your payment information, your email address, and any gift designation or restrictions that you have provided.
- When you register for the Website, you may provide us certain information including your name, e-mail address, phone numbers, mailing address, screen name, password, demographic information, and other items of interest that we inquire about at the time of registration such as birthday.
- If you sign up to receive a newsletter, we may require that you provide us contact information (e.g., e-mail or physical address); and
- If you provide us with personal information in the course of e-mail, customer support interactions, and surveys.
You can choose not to provide us with certain information, but this will prevent you from submitting a video or text message to the Website where such functionality is made available on the Website, and may stop you from gaining access to certain areas of the Website. Similarly, we require that each child under 13 who wishes to made a dedication through the dedication area provides us with his or her parent’s or guardian’s email address, which we will use only to contact the child’s parent or guardian to encourage them to join the child in making his or her dedication by asking for the parent or guardian’s consent for his or her child’s to use and submit information to our Website. For more information on how we use the information we collect, please see the How We Use Your Information section below.
Information we collect through your use of the Website. As you use the Website, certain Anonymous Information may also be passively collected. Through technologies like cookies, pixels, beacons and log files, we may collect information about how you use the Website which we may use to deliver more useful content and information to you. Please see the Cookies, Web Beacons and Log Information section below for more information.
Information we receive from third parties. In addition to the information that you provide or we collect on the Website, we may verify or collect certain information about you from third parties. For example, we may use your e-mail address to determine your street address or we may use your street address to obtain demographic information about you or the 9-digit ZIP code (ZIP+4) in which you live. This information may include household income, presence and age(s) of children, and other census data. We may combine this third-party information with the information we have already collected from you via the Website. We protect and use this third-party information in the same way that we treat other information – in accordance with this Policy.
How We Use Your Information
We will use your Personal Information in the ways described below or described at the time that the information is collected.
To Provide the Website. In general, we use your Personal Information as necessary or appropriate to:
- administer your account;
- register you and permit the uploading of your video or text message where called for on the Website;
- respond to your inquiries or requests that you direct to us;
- send communications and administrative e-mails about the Website;
- personalize and better tailor the features, performance, and support of the Website for your use;
- send you donor-related (if appropriate) direct and e-mail newsletters, information concerning upcoming events for ACWIS, donor solicitation requests or other information regarding functionality on the Website that we think would be of particular interest to you (provided that we will not give your Personal Information to any third-party partner, other than those that assist us with administering or operating the Website, without your consent);
- if you are the parent or guardian of a child who is under thirteen years of age, we will use the email address that your child provides where called for upon entering the dedication area to invite you to join the child in making a dedication and provide consent for the child to use and submit information to our Website;
- improve the quality of the Website; and
- review and analyze user data and user interactions with the Website.
- “Cookies” are small pieces of information that a website attaches to your browser when you visit a website. We may use both session Cookies (which expire once you close your web browser) and persistent Cookies (which stay on your computer until deleted) to provide you with a more personal and interactive experience with the Website. We do not store Personal Information in any Cookies on your computer. Persistent Cookies can be removed by following your Internet browser’s directions within the help tab. However, in order to use certain aspects of the Website, your web browser must accept Cookies, and therefore some aspects of the Website may not work properly if you choose to disable Cookies.
- An “Internet protocol address” or “IP Address” is a number that is automatically assigned to your computer when you use the Internet. We, or our service providers, may track your IP Address when you access the Website.
How We Disclose Information to Third Parties
We know how important it is to keep your Personal Information confidential. We will not rent, sell or share your Personal Information with third parties except with your consent or as described below. If you do not want us to use or disclose Personal Information collected about you in the ways identified in this Policy, you should not use the Website.
Disclosure for legal reasons. We may disclose and release your Personal Information to third parties: (a) to comply with valid legal requirements such as a law, regulation, search warrant, subpoena, or court order; or (b) in special cases, such as a physical threat to you or others, a threat to homeland security, a threat to our system or network, or cases in which we believe it is reasonably necessary to investigate or prevent harm, fraud, abuse, illegal conduct, or a violation or alleged violation of this Policy or other agreement we may have with you.
Agents and Contractors. We may provide your Personal Information to third-party service providers who work on our behalf or help us to operate Website. Examples of such service providers include vendors and suppliers that provide us with technology, services, and/or content for sending e-mail, analyzing data, processing donations (including credit card payments). Access to your Personal Information by these service providers is limited to the information reasonably necessary to perform its limited function. These service providers have an obligation under their contracts with us to keep your Personal Information confidential.
Aggregated, Anonymous Information. We may share aggregated Anonymous Information about you with third parties. Aggregated information is your Anonymous Information that is combined with the Anonymous Information of other users and does not allow you to be identified or contacted. We may or may not limit the third parties’ use of this information.
Within our Company. We may share all or some of your Personal Information with any of our subsidiaries, joint ventures, or other companies under common control, in which case we will require them to honor this Policy.
Dissolution or Merger of Company.
We may share all or some of your Personal Information in the unlikely event of merger, asset transfer or similar transaction with a third party.
The Website is not generally directed or intended for children under 13 years of age. However, because the dedication area portion of the Website is intended for all our users, children under 13 may seek to use the functionality provided in that area of the Website.
We are committed to safeguarding your child’s personal information collected through the Website, and therefore we have taken additional measures to help you and your child protect their privacy while using the dedication area.
We try to ensure that the child’s behavior on the Website and in the dedication area in particular is coordinated by a parent or guardian and make every effort to send information to adults only. Each user who enters the dedication area is asked whether they are 13 or older and, if they are not, they are requested to provide an email address for a parent or guardian so that we can invite them to join the user in creating the child’s dedication and, at the same time, give the child permission to make a dedication. If no parent or guardian email address is provided, then the child is refused entry into the dedication area.
We send parents (or guardians) an email when the child provides us with their email address and we provide parents (or the child’s guardian) the right to reply and grant permission to enable the child to make a dedication. If the parents (or guardians) refuse permission, or fail to respond to the email requesting permission, the child will not be permitted to create a dedication.
If you are under 13 years of age, you are not permitted to register or provide personal information on the Website, including in the dedication area, without the permission of your parents or guardians. We are not liable for any damages that may result from a user’s misrepresentation of age.
In addition, we have limited the personal information that is requested to be provided, and strongly encourage users who are making a dedication not to provide their full name, their address or other contact information within the dedication material they upload to the Website.
If you are aware that a child under 13 years of age has provided his or her name to us without our knowledge or a parent or guardian’s consent, and you would like us remove that information from our systems, please contact us at info@ACWIS.org to provide the child's name along with a supervising adult's contact information.
Updating and Control of Your Personal Information
We offer you choices regarding the collection, use, and sharing of your Personal Information. When you receive communications from us (such as one of our email newsletters) you will have the opportunity to “opt out” by following the unsubscribe instructions provided in the email material you receive. Please note that despite your indicated e-mail preferences, we may send you administrative e-mails regarding the Website, including, for example, administrative confirmations and notices of updates to our Policy if we choose to provide such notices to you in this manner.
If your Personal Information changes or if you no longer desire to use or access the Website, we encourage you to notify us to correct, update, or remove the Personal Information from your profile. Keep in mind, however, that even if you delete information from your profile, we may retain your Personal Information in conformance with our data retention policy and there may be residual Personal Information that remains within our databases, access logs, and other records. In addition, we are not responsible for updating or removing your Personal Information contained in the lists or databases of third parties who have been provided information as permitted by this Policy (if any).
The Website may link to websites operated by third parties that we do not control. We do not monitor, control, or endorse the information collection or privacy practices of any third parties, nor do we accept any responsibility or liability for their privacy policies whatsoever. We encourage you to become familiar with the privacy practices of every website you visit and to contact them if you have any questions about their respective privacy policies and practices. This Policy applies solely to information collected by us through the Website and does not apply to these third-party websites.
We place a priority on the security of Personal Information, and we undertake commercially suitable security measures to protect the data that resides on servers under our control. We also use secure server software (SSL) to process all financial (donation) transactions that occur on the Website. SSL technology can encrypt Personal Information transmitted over the Internet. However, we do not warrant that your information, including your Personal Information, will be completely secure or not be intercepted while being transmitted over the Internet.
Nonetheless, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure and therefore we cannot guarantee the security of data sent to us electronically on our Website, and transmission of such data is therefore entirely at your own risk.
We reserve the right to change, modify, add, or remove portions of this Policy at any time and without prior notice, and any changes will become effective immediately upon being posted unless we advise you otherwise. If we materially alter our Policy, we will notify you of such changes by posting a notice on our Website. Your continued use of the Website after this Policy has been amended shall be deemed to be your continued acceptance of the terms and conditions of the Policy, as amended. We encourage you to bookmark this Web page and review this Policy regularly.
How To Contact Us
If you have any questions, comments or complaints regarding privacy or this Policy, you may contact us as follows:
American Committee for the Weizmann Institute of Science
633 Third Avenue
New York, NY 10017